Weight loss; need to trim the waist a bit

General interest discussion area
WARNING: Posts here can be read by all members!
silmcoach
Site Admin

Re: Weight loss; Last day - goals achieved

Post by silmcoach »

Well, last day of my 12-week diet. Pleased to say I have achieved my goals. Lost over the 7lb target weight-loss and a couple of inches off the waist. I haven't achieved muscle definition around the midriff though, due to loose skin. Because of my back problem I cannot do the exercises that strengthen the core muscles, will have to be patient with that, but determined to achieve that goal in the long-term.

I have to hold my hand up, I have been a bit lax over the last week/10 days, and due to the back problem not strictly followed the diet, so that tummy has started to reappear slightly. That's all down to biscuits! So I know I have to make a decision, stick to (not diet anymore) my eating regime or I'll be back where I started. I also know it's the alcohol with eating that let's my discipline down. I can have a taste, but that's it. As that's less than a bottle a week I will strictly buy only the small 175ml bottle that will last 2/3 evenings over the weekend (see how - "Reduce alcohol intake"), no cheese and savoury biscuits, and definitely no sweet/chocolate biscuits (unless I can manage to discipline myself to eat only 1/2 occasionally - but it's easier to just not buy them).

So, all's good. Pleased I went on the diet, and intend to stick to: Weekly - 5 days eat/2 days fast >800kcal; and daily - 8 hour eating window/16 hours no food, which really isn't that much of a struggle. Think it will be a life-long thing. Will post every now and again to keep a check on myself. Cheers for now (toasted with my morning cuppa).
silmcoach
Greatest wealth - happy heart, peace of mind :D
silmcoach
Site Admin

Re: Weight loss; update

Post by silmcoach »

It's been a month since I finished the diet. I have maintained the weight loss (1 stone) but find myself sticking to the regime, apart from not really having fasting days.

Just had a weeks holiday and let myself go a bit on the biscuit side, but stuck to the 8 hour eating window. Weight loss maintained, despite lack of exercise, lazing in the sun.

The best thing is the loss of those inches off the waist, feel so much so much better about myself.
silmcoach
silmcoach
Site Admin

Re: Weight loss; maintained

Post by silmcoach »

Nearly another month and the weight loss has been maintained (from 10 to 9 stone). I am no longer rigidly fasting two days as week, just eating a little less on a couple of days.

I have also let the sweet things back in to my life, in a controlled way, for the other days. However, I know there is a chance of binging on a whole packet of biscuits, but I think just knowing that is enough for me to make a conscious effort not to binge.

I did catch a nasty virus as usual (on flights to and from Spain), and that threw me health wise a bit, particularly as I do not exercise or cycle when I have a virus (a lesson learnt the hard way). But I seemed to shake that off quite well by eating plenty. I believe the old adage, "starve a fever, feed a cold". Now fully fit and looking forward to getting out on the bike again. Mood positive, motivation good, getting some long outstanding building jobs finished.
silmcoach
silmcoach
Site Admin

Re: Weight loss; daren't weigh myself

Post by silmcoach »

Couple of weeks now, a mince pie after lunch and choccy biscuits after the evening meal. Plus, or rather minus any serious exercise, apart from doing a few manual jobs and walking to and from the office.

No need to weigh myself, the tummy is becoming obvious again. There's no doubt about it, can't resist scoffing the choccy biscuits. If I am so weak willed then I must just not buy them.
silmcoach
silmcoach
Site Admin

Re: Weight loss; Year End, 7 months on

Post by silmcoach »

Pleased to say seven months since starting the diet I have managed to more or less maintain the weight loss (from 10 stone to nine), despite a very naughty Xmas and a small gain in weight over the week. What a little piggy I've been, enjoying some lovely meals with all the extras, such as sea food starters, turkey dinners, Xmas pud, cheese and biscuits, a few chocs after, with coffee, not to mention the wine and port. Feel guilty writing that.

I am very lucky, given the struggle for so many to just get by. I do live in relative poverty in my own country, but compared to others in the world I am very fortunate to have been born in the UK. I have no interest in material wealth, most of what I enjoy is free, and with a free National Health Service, fairly low food prices, reasonable rent, get by okay. Of course, it would be a very different story with a young family, high living costs where the work is, expensive transport costs, and so on. I think the baby-boomers have been a very lucky generation.

Anyway, clear of viruses now, so started my morning stretching routine today, walked to the office, and will have a cycle ride lunch time. Realize it's important to keep this body of mine healthy. Also need to keep tightening the lose skin. It does seem to be gradually happening. All in all I am very pleased to have gone on this diet, and that I can now do the waistline buttons up on the two slim-fit shirts that got me started on a diet in the first place.

Happy New Year and good luck for 2020.
silmcoach
silmcoach
Site Admin

Re: Weight loss; guilty

Post by silmcoach »

Since my last post (31st December 2019) I've not given much thought to this weight loss exercise. Most of the time I have been focusing on the Aversion-to-Loss (financial) experiment.

Well into February and the weight gain of half a stone over the Xmas holiday has stayed on, now weigh in at a constant 9 stone 7 lbs. I haven't restricted my intake of sweet foods nor had any fasting days, so that would explain it. I have more or less stuck to my five a day though, but enjoyed plenty of those delicious choccy biscuits with my after dinner coffee.

But as the old tum is creeping back I think I am going to have to cut out choccy biscuits of an evening. It's a shame, but I just don't seem to be able to discipline myself to eat a couple. In a way I can do without the battle of will, it's easier to just not buy them, and eat an apple instead, or have another cup of decaff coffee.

Guess, alternatively, I could go back to having the two fasting days. But even that I find is a battle of will I can do without. So, decision time. I will finish the current packet of chocolate hobnob biscuits (3) tonight. (They are on offer at £2 for 2 packets - they do tempt you don't they). Will then decide what I am going to do.

On the exercise front I am still walking to and from the office every day, and usually getting a long walk in at the weekend, but I'm afraid the wet winter has kept me off my bike lately. Still, I have finally cleared space to set up the cycle trainer, so I'll get on that later, really do need to get away from the computer lunchtimes, even if only cycling on the spot with my i-Player geeing me up.
silmcoach