Facebooks' real selves?

General interest discussion area
WARNING: Posts here can be read by all members!
silmcoach
Site Admin

Facebooks' real selves?

Post by silmcoach »

Emily Maitlis interviews Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook (for BBC 2; 4/12/2011).

Users say that Facebook is addictive, it's like a second life, and to not be on it is to be socially excluded. Heidegger's view is that our 'Being' is in the World, there is no basic human nature, we exist through the skills and practices we develop in coping with the various Worlds 'out there', including the virtual World of Facebook. This could explain why some people become addicted to Facebook, part of their being, their existence, is in the Facebook World. Hence to not return is to deny part of one's being, to experience a degree of self-alienation. If Zuckerberg understood this, and intentionally sought to exploit it, then he is a very clever chap indeed. [It's not easy reading but see: Being-in-the-World?]

Real People?

Maitlis believes the question is whether the persona [See: Self-perception / Jung; Persona] of people on Facebook reflects their real selves? Is it too rigid? Jaron Lanier (Writer and Computer Scientist, one of the pioneer inventors of virtual reality) suggests there is a kind of flattening where every ones' stuff looks the same. Is it an escape? Given difficult economic times and reduced prospects he suggests there are a lot of young people investing tremendous pride in their online personas or online lives [See: Horney, Idealized Self]. Is it a distraction he asks, a way to ignore the real world?

Of course, the value of an online sharing culture as advocated by Zuckerberg depends entirely on the honesty and openness of the user. There are no visual clues from physical interaction, such as body language, emotion or empathic felt sense to get to know a person better.

Sandberg tells us that, "Mark's vision of the world is one where we're better if we are more open and connected. My life is improved by knowing what you are doing, if I care what you are doing. And if I've chosen to connect to a Starbucks, I want their announcements, I have chosen, just like I friend someone. I have chosen this."

Does my life become better if I know you like Starbucks?
silmcoach
Greatest wealth - happy heart, peace of mind :D